As a bourbon enthusiast, I’m always on the lookout for unique and interesting bottles to add to my collection. Recently, I had the opportunity to try the Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon, and I must say, I was impressed. This particular bottle was a Total Wine select, barrel number 1932, and bottled in 2019.
What sets the Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel apart from other bourbons is its high rye mash bill, which gives it a distinctive spicy flavor. It’s also aged for a full 12 years, which allows the flavors to fully develop and mellow out. The result is a smooth and complex bourbon that’s perfect for sipping neat or on the rocks.
Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Overview
Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon is a premium whiskey that is sourced from MGP Indiana and bottled by Widow Jane Distillery in Brooklyn, NY. This whiskey is selected from some of the best casks that show special promise, and it is only available via barrel pick from select bars, liquor stores, and other establishments.
The Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon has a rich history behind it. The distillery was founded in 2012 by Daniel Prieto Preston, who was inspired by the natural beauty of the Widow Jane Mine in Rosendale, NY. The mine is known for producing high-quality limestone, which is used to filter the water used in the distilling process.
The price range of Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon varies depending on the location and the establishment where it is sold. According to Total Wine, a 750-ml bottle of Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon typically costs around $98.99. However, prices may vary depending on the location and availability.
photo credit: images.prismic.io
The aroma of Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel is rich and complex, with notes of caramel, vanilla, and oak. There is also a subtle hint of spice, likely from the rye in the mash bill. Overall, the aroma is inviting and enticing.
On the palate, Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel is smooth and well-balanced. The flavors are similar to the aroma, with caramel and vanilla taking center stage. The oak is more pronounced, adding a pleasant bitterness to the whiskey. The rye spice is also present, but not overpowering. There is a slight sweetness that lingers on the tongue.
The finish of Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel is long and warming, with a pleasant burn that is not too intense. The flavors continue to develop and evolve, with the oak becoming more prominent. There is also a hint of dark chocolate that adds a nice depth to the whiskey.
Overall, I would rate Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel an 8 out of 10. It is a well-crafted whiskey that is both complex and approachable. The flavors are well-balanced, and the finish is satisfying. While it is on the pricier side, I believe it is worth the investment for a special occasion or for those who appreciate a high-quality bourbon.
Mixing and Pairing
photo credit: images.rawpixel.com
I find that Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon is best enjoyed neat or on the rocks. However, if you prefer to mix your whiskey, I recommend using simple mixers such as soda water or ginger ale. These mixers allow the flavors of the bourbon to shine without overpowering it.
photo credit: www.pexels.com
If you want to get creative with your Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon, here are a few cocktail suggestions that I enjoy:
- Manhattan: Combine 2 oz of Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon, 1 oz of sweet vermouth, and a dash of bitters in a mixing glass with ice. Stir until well chilled, and strain into a chilled glass. Garnish with a cherry.
- Old Fashioned: In a rocks glass, muddle a sugar cube with a few dashes of bitters and a splash of water. Add ice and 2 oz of Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon. Stir until well chilled and garnish with an orange twist.
- Whiskey Sour: Combine 2 oz of Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon, 1 oz of fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 oz of simple syrup in a shaker with ice. Shake until well chilled and strain into a rocks glass over ice. Garnish with a cherry and a lemon wedge.
photo credit: www.pexels.com
Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon pairs well with a variety of foods, including:
- Barbecue: The smoky flavors of barbecue are a perfect match for the rich and complex flavors of this bourbon. Pair it with pulled pork, brisket, or ribs for a delicious meal.
- Dark Chocolate: The sweetness of dark chocolate complements the oaky flavors of the bourbon. Enjoy a piece of dark chocolate with a glass of Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon for a decadent dessert.
- Cheese: Pair this bourbon with a sharp cheddar or a creamy blue cheese for a delicious snack. The bold flavors of the cheese are balanced by the smoothness of the bourbon.
After tasting the Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon, I can confidently say that it is a delicious and well-crafted whiskey. The smoothness and complexity of the flavors make it a great sipping bourbon, and the high proof adds an extra kick that is sure to please whiskey enthusiasts.
I would highly recommend the Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon to anyone looking for a high-quality sipping whiskey with a unique flavor profile. While it may be difficult to find due to its limited availability, it is definitely worth the effort to track down a bottle.
If you enjoyed my review of Widow Jane 12 Year Single Barrel Bourbon, you might be interested in reading some of my other reviews and articles on whiskey. Here are a few related posts that you might find interesting:
Please add social media services by going to 'Theme Options > Social > Add share services'