I recently came across Still Austin’s Cask Strength Bourbon Whiskey and felt compelled to share my thoughts on this intriguing expression. Hailing from an up-and-coming distillery, Still Austin Whiskey Co, their Cask Strength Bourbon has already managed to garner some attention in the world of whiskey enthusiasts.
Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon Whiskey Overview
Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon Whiskey, made by Still Austin Whiskey Co., is a captivating spirit that I recently had the pleasure to explore. The company, founded in 2015, is based in Austin, TX, which of course inspired their name. The master blender who crafted this fine whiskey is none other than Nancy Fraley. In its early days, this Cask Strength Bourbon was a limited release, but the product received such a warm reception that the distillery brought it back as part of their regular lineup.
As a fan of this delicious whiskey, I’m impressed with the care that went into its creation. Non-GMO white corn, a key ingredient in the whiskey’s flavor profile, is sourced directly from Texas farmers, showcasing the company’s dedication to using locally-grown grains and supporting the regional agricultural community.
When it comes to the price range for this bourbon, I found that it’s quite affordable ranging from $50-$60, making it a great choice for whiskey enthusiasts who are looking to add something unique to their collection. With that being said, grab a bottle of Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon Whiskey and enjoy its bold flavor and rich character.
Upon nosing the Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon, I find that the aroma is not too overpowering, even at cask strength. I can definitely pick up hints of vanilla, oak, and some cherry notes, making it an inviting whiskey to explore further.
When I taste this bourbon, the flavor profile offers a nice complexity from the mash bill that consists of 70% white corn, 25% rye, and 5% barley. It’s well-balanced, showcasing a delightful combination of sweet and savory notes. I get hints of caramel, cocoa, and a touch of cedar, complementing the rye spice and creating a truly Texan taste experience.
Following the intriguing palate, I am treated to a long and satisfying finish. The Texas heat lends a peppery kick that lingers on my tongue, while the viscous texture adds a pleasant mouthfeel. As it fades, I can still detect some fresh oak and a gentle, warming sensation.
After experiencing the aroma, flavor, and finish of the Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon, I would give it a solid 8 out of 10. It is a young bourbon that shows great potential and is a true representation of Texas in a bottle. Enjoyed neat or with a drop of water to lessen the heat, it’s definitely a cask strength bourbon to try and recommend.
Mixing and Pairing
In this section, we’ll discuss the best mixers, some cocktail suggestions, and food pairings to enhance your whiskey experience.
photo credit: negativespace.co
While the rich flavors of Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon can be enjoyed neat or on the rocks, you might want to try mixing it to create some interesting drinks. Here are my personal favorites:
- Ginger Ale: The caramel and spice notes of the whiskey pair well with the sweetness of ginger ale.
- Club Soda: For a lighter touch, club soda can help balance the flavors and bring out the subtlety of the bourbon.
- Apple Cider: A seasonal favorite, the fruity sweetness of apple cider plays well with the warmth of the whiskey.
- Coffee: A splash of whiskey in a cup of coffee can bring out a pleasant cocoa taste.
photo credit: www.cookipedia.co.uk
If you’re in the mood for a cocktail, here are a few suggestions that work well with Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon:
- Old Fashioned: The classic cocktail with a twist. Muddle sugar, bitters, and water in a glass, add bourbon and ice, then garnish with an orange slice and maraschino cherry.
- Whiskey Sour: Add some variety to your drink by shaking bourbon, lemon juice, and simple syrup with ice, then straining into a glass. Top it off with a maraschino cherry and a slice of orange.
- Mint Julep: A refreshing option for warmer days – muddle fresh mint leaves with simple syrup in a glass, fill with crushed ice, then pour bourbon over the top. Stir well and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
photo credit: negativespace.co
To further enhance your whiskey journey, consider pairing Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon with these foods that complement its taste and texture:
- Dark Chocolate: The rich, slightly bitter notes in dark chocolate can balance the sweetness and spice of the whiskey.
- Smoky BBQ: The bold, smoky flavors of slow-cooked meats can stand up to the intensity of the cask strength bourbon.
- Blue Cheese: The sharp, tangy flavors of blue cheese provide a nice contrast to the sweet and spicy elements in the whiskey.
- Grilled Vegetables: The caramelized, slightly charred flavors of grilled vegetables can complement the whiskey’s notes of caramel and spice.
My exploration of Still Austin Cask Strength Bourbon, aged at least 2 years, has been quite an adventure. I find it remarkable that a Texas-based distillery has produced such a quality whiskey with a 118 proof, which is quite a step up their standard 98.4-proof release.
At a price range of $50-60, I believe it offers value for what you get, especially considering the whiskey’s composition of 70% non-GMO white corn, 25% Elbon rye, and 5% wildfire malted barley. Additionally, the 59% alcohol content adds a distinct character, making this cask strength bourbon an excellent option for those interested in trying a solid, high-proof whiskey.
In my experience, the palate and finish are where the cask strength bourbon really shines, intensifying the flavors without becoming overwhelming. However, I do think it has room for growth in terms of complexity, since it can sometimes come across as straightforward. As a whiskey enthusiast, I’ll be keeping an eye on Still Austin and their future offerings.
So, if you’re looking for a friendly and accessible introduction to cask strength bourbon, Still Austin’s version is worth a try. And remember, always enjoy your whiskey responsibly. Cheers!
Please add social media services by going to 'Theme Options > Social > Add share services'