As someone who appreciates a good bourbon, I recently decided to explore the world of Calumet 15 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon. The name Calumet Farm has a long history in the whiskey world, and I was eager to see if its 15-year-old iteration lived up to the hype. In this article, I will share my thoughts on this flavorful bourbon that has people talking.
photo credit: www.calumetbourbon.com
When it comes to Calumet 15 Year Old Bourbon, I was not disappointed. From its enticing aroma to the subtle hints of dried aged fruits, nutty, and baked chocolate notes, this is a bourbon that invites exploration and enjoyment. I’m excited to share my experience and delve into what makes this whiskey an impressive effort from Calumet Farm.
Calumet 15 Year Overview
Calumet Farm is a notable producer of American whiskey, with a rich history in Bardstown, Kentucky. They have been crafting quality bourbon and rye whiskeys for years. One of their standout products is the Calumet Farm 15 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon. It gained popularity for its remarkable flavor profile and the unique method of batching “single racks” of about 19 barrels. Initially, this bourbon was bottled below 100 proof in previous years. However, in 2021, they decided to increase the proof to over 100, making it even more appealing to whiskey enthusiasts.
When it comes to the price of Calumet Farm 15 Year Bourbon, it can be categorized as being in the higher range for a bottle of American whiskey. The bourbon sells for over $100, which is considered an easy sell these days for a premium whiskey of this age and quality.
Upon nosing the Calumet Farm 15 Year Old bourbon, I’m greeted with a warm blend of vanilla and oak spice notes. There are hints of dark red fruit compote and caramel sauce, which are quite typical of Kentucky bourbon. A touch of apple and brown sugar also come through on the nose, making it quite inviting, albeit slightly underwhelming.
Taking my first sip, I immediately notice honey and oak flavors, which are nicely balanced by a rounded spice coming from the rye in the mash bill. The palate truly shines with big cherry notes, and underlying flavors of corn and malted barley. There are also subtle hints of white pepper and spearmint, adding a spicy kick to the overall taste profile.
The finish of Calumet 15 Year Old is quite remarkable, as it lingers with the leather and juicy raisin notes. These flavors are complemented by apple cider and dry roasted nuts, which persist long after each sip. While the flavors in the finish are somewhat bold, they don’t come across as exaggerated.
From my personal experience with the Calumet Farm 15 Year Old bourbon, I would rate it 7.8 over 10.
The friendly and inviting nature of this bourbon, especially considering its age, makes it one that I would gladly recommend to others. While not overwhelmingly complex, it offers a pleasant and satisfying experience for bourbon enthusiasts.
Mixing and Pairing
photo credit: images.rawpixel.com
If you’re thinking of mixing Calumet Farm Bourbon 15 Years Old Single Rack Black, I would recommend a few select mixers to maintain the integrity of the spirit’s flavor profile. Some popular choices include:
- Ginger ale: Offers a nice complementary sweetness and slight spiciness that enhances the bourbon’s character.
- Club soda: Allows the flavors of the whiskey to shine through while adding some effervescence.
- Orange peel: A simple citrus twist can bring out some of the fruity notes in the whiskey.
While Calumet Farm Bourbon 15 Years Old Single Rack Black is excellent on its own, it also works well in classic cocktails. Here are few suggestions to try:
- Old Fashioned: Muddle a sugar cube, a few dashes of bitters, and a splash of water. Add 2 ounces of bourbon and stir well. Garnish with an orange peel and a cherry.
- Whiskey Sour: Bourbon pairs well with lemon juice and simple syrup. Shake together 2 ounces of Calumet Farm Bourbon, 3/4 ounce lemon juice, and 1/2 ounce simple syrup with ice. Strain into an old-fashioned glass filled with fresh ice, and garnish with a cherry and an orange slice.
photo credit: pixabay.com
When it comes to food, Calumet Farm Bourbon 15 Years Old Single Rack Black can be paired with a variety of dishes that complement its flavor profile. Here are a few options to consider:
- Grilled meats: The boldness of this bourbon pairs beautifully with the rich flavors of grilled steak, pork, or lamb.
- BBQ dishes: The sweet and smoky flavors of barbecue ribs or brisket complement the bourbon’s spiciness and fruit notes.
- Aged cheeses: Strong, aged cheeses like cheddar or gouda can hold up to the complex flavors of Calumet Farm Bourbon.
- Chocolate desserts: The rich, dark flavors of chocolate ganache or a chocolate brownie can create a harmonious pairing alongside this bourbon.
In my experience with Calumet Farm 15 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon, I found it to be a satisfying and enjoyable bourbon. The nose brings warm vanilla and oak spice notes, accompanied by dark red fruit compote and caramel sauce, which are typical characteristics of a Kentucky bourbon. Although it may seem underwhelming at first, the nose is quite inviting.
Overall, my time with Calumet Farm 15 Year Old Kentucky Straight Bourbon was genuinely delightful. It offers both complexity and balance, without being overly tannic or harsh on the palate. It’s a bourbon that showcases the versatility and nuances in flavor that can be found in older whiskey releases. So, if you’re in the mood for a friendly and relatively approachable bourbon, I recommend giving Calumet Farm 15 Year Old a try.
Please add social media services by going to 'Theme Options > Social > Add share services'