As a whiskey enthusiast, I was excited to try Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year Bottled in Bond. This bourbon is among the oldest releases from Wild Turkey, having been aged for 17 years in three different warehouses. The aging process took place in two wood warehouses and a stone warehouse, giving the bourbon unique flavors and aromas.
Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year Overview
Wild Turkey is a well-known brand in the bourbon world, and the Master’s Keep 17 Year is a testament to their dedication to producing high-quality whiskey. This bourbon is part of the Master’s Keep series, which includes other aged releases like the Master’s Keep Decades and the Master’s Keep Revival.
The Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year is priced at around $150–175. While this is on the higher end for bourbon, it is not uncommon for aged releases like this. It is important to note that the price may vary depending on your location and the retailer you purchase it from.
photo credit: www.wildturkeybourbon.com
The Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year has a rich and intense aroma with notes of caramel, blackberry, and vanilla ice cream. The aroma is quite solvent and intense for how low-proof the spirit is. With water, the aroma becomes more focused and nuanced, with stronger red berry and cinnamon notes supported by spicy oak.
On the palate, the Master’s Keep 17 Year is a complex and well-balanced bourbon. The flavor profile is dominated by caramel and oak, with hints of vanilla, blackberry, and cinnamon. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with just the right amount of heat and spice.
The finish is long and warming, with lingering notes of caramel, oak, and spice. The finish is dry and slightly tannic, with a pleasant bitterness that balances out the sweetness of the bourbon.
Overall, I would rate the Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year as an excellent bourbon. It is a well-crafted and complex whiskey that showcases the best of Wild Turkey’s distilling expertise. I would highly recommend this bourbon to anyone who enjoys a rich and flavorful whiskey with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel and give it a rating of 9 out of 10.
Mixing and Pairing
photo credit: images.rawpixel.com
When it comes to mixers, I prefer to keep it simple and let the bourbon shine. However, if you’re looking for a little something extra, try adding a splash of ginger ale or a few drops of bitters. The sweetness of the ginger ale complements the caramel notes in the bourbon, while the bitters add a touch of complexity.
photo credit: www.wildturkeybourbon.com
While I typically enjoy my bourbon neat or on the rocks, Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year can make a great base for cocktails. Here are a few suggestions to try:
- Old Fashioned: In a rocks glass, muddle a sugar cube with a few dashes of bitters. Add a large ice cube and 2 ounces of bourbon. Stir until chilled, and garnish with an orange peel.
- Manhattan: In a mixing glass, combine 2 ounces of bourbon, 1 ounce of sweet vermouth, and a dash of bitters. Stir with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry.
- Whiskey Sour: In a shaker, combine 2 ounces of bourbon, 3/4 ounce of fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 ounce of simple syrup. Shake with ice and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with a cherry and an orange slice.
photo credit: www.pexels.com
Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year has a rich, complex flavor profile that pairs well with a variety of foods. Here are a few suggestions:
- Charcuterie board: The salty, savory flavors of cured meats and cheeses complement the sweetness and oakiness of the bourbon.
- Grilled steak: The bold flavor of a well-seasoned steak stands up to the richness of the bourbon.
- Dark chocolate: The bitterness of dark chocolate balances out the sweetness of the bourbon and brings out its nutty and fruity notes.
Remember, everyone’s palate is different, so don’t be afraid to experiment and find your own favorite pairings. Cheers!
After spending some time with the Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year, I must say that it is an impressive bourbon. The complexity of flavors and aromas is truly remarkable. Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with the Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year. It is a bourbon that I will be savoring for a long time to come.
As a whiskey enthusiast, I’m always on the lookout for new and interesting expressions to try. While Wild Turkey Master’s Keep 17 Year is certainly a unique and delicious bourbon, there are plenty of other whiskies out there that are worth exploring. Here are a few related posts that I think you might enjoy:
- Braunstein Whisky: a promising Danish single malt – If you’re looking to expand your whiskey horizons beyond bourbon, this Danish single malt is definitely worth checking out. It’s still relatively unknown in the US, but it’s gaining popularity among whiskey lovers who appreciate its unique flavor profile.
- Visitor experience: what would make a distillery stand out from the others? – If you’re planning a trip to a distillery, this post offers some great tips on what to look for in terms of visitor experience. From tastings to tours, there are plenty of factors that can make a distillery stand out from the crowd.
- Glenora Distillery: a World Whisky gem – This Canadian distillery is known for its high-quality whiskies, including some unique expressions that are hard to find elsewhere. If you’re a fan of single malts, this is definitely a distillery worth checking out.
- The Whisky Affair: a single malt fuelled novel – If you’re looking for a fun read that’s all about whiskey, this novel is a great choice. It’s full of interesting characters, engaging plot twists, and plenty of tasting notes for whiskey lovers to enjoy.
- Summer Cooler: the classic Menorcan Pomada – If you’re looking for a refreshing summer drink that’s a little different from your typical whiskey cocktail, this Menorcan Pomada is definitely worth trying. It’s a delicious blend of gin, lemon, and lemonade that’s perfect for sipping on a hot day.
Please add social media services by going to 'Theme Options > Social > Add share services'