As a whiskey enthusiast, I explored The Irishman Founder’s Reserve, a unique and flavorful whiskey hailing from Ireland. This remarkable blend showcases a perfect marriage between 70% single malt Irish whiskey and 30% single pot still whiskey, both of which have been triple distilled to ensure a smooth and remarkable experience.
Throughout this article, I’ll delve into the distinct characteristics and flavors of The Irishman Founder’s Reserve, discussing what makes it such a noteworthy addition to the whiskey world. With its captivating blend of whiskeys and rich history, it’s no wonder this spirited creation has made waves among connoisseurs and casual sippers alike.
The Irishman Founder’s Reserve Overview
photo credit: www.thewhiskycompany.com.au
I’ve learned that The Irishman Founder’s Reserve is a unique Irish whiskey blend created by Bernard Walsh of Walsh Whiskey. It’s a combination of two styles of Irish whiskey: Single Malt and Single Pot Still. The blend comprises 70% Single Malt and 30% Single Pot Still, making it an interesting and exceptional take on the traditional Irish Pot Still Whiskey. This whiskey is triple distilled and aged in bourbon casks, adding depth and character to its taste profile.
You’ll find that The Irishman Founder’s Reserve is on the market at an affordable price around $40. Not only does this blend offer a friendly and accessible taste profile, but its price point also reflects the company’s dedication to bringing quality Irish whiskey to a wider audience.
As I took a whiff of The Irishman Founder’s Reserve whiskey, I immediately picked up on the friendly and inviting aroma of honey, vanilla, and lightly toasted wood. Notes of green apple, lemon, and lime added a welcoming freshness. The pleasant scent of malted barley and cereal rounded out the bouquet, creating a balanced and irresistible nose.
Taking a sip, I couldn’t help but admire the smooth and complex flavors that danced on my palate. The single pot still and triple-distilled whiskey showcased a delicious blend of sweet vanilla, tropical fruits, and dark chocolate. The fruity notes of peach and zesty spice delivered a delightful combination of flavors, enticing me to take another sip. Hints of black pepper, wooden oak, and a subtle chocolate note added depth and character to the experience.
The finish of The Irishman Founder’s Reserve whiskey left me impressed with its warmth and lengthy persistence. Smooth and gratifying, the flavors continued to linger, with accents of wood, spice, and sweet caramel tying everything together. The sensation on my palate was satisfying, making this a great whiskey to enjoy slowly and savor.
The Irishman Founder’s Reserve whiskey didn’t disappoint. Its friendliness, rich aroma, complex flavors, and satisfying finish made it a memorable and enjoyable experience. I’m rating it 8 out of 10.
Mixing And Pairing
When it comes to mixing The Irishman Founder’s Reserve Whiskey, there are a few key mixers that can elevate the flavors of the whiskey. These mixers include:
- Ginger ale: A simple and classic pairing that complements the caramel and butterscotch notes in the whiskey.
- Soda water: Adding soda water allows the whiskey’s flavors to shine, particularly the bourbon oak influence from the aging process.
- Aromatic bitters: A dash of bitters can enhance the whiskey’s complexity and add a layer of depth to your cocktail.
photo credit: commons.wikimedia.org
For cocktails, I’d recommend trying one of these classics with The Irishman Founder’s Reserve:
- Manhattan: Stir 2 oz of whiskey, 1 oz of sweet vermouth, and a few dashes of aromatic bitters with ice. Strain into a chilled glass and garnish with a cherry.
- Old Fashioned: In a rocks glass, muddle a sugar cube, a few dashes of aromatic bitters, and a splash of water. Add 2 oz of whiskey and 1 large ice cube. Stir and garnish with an orange twist.
- Whiskey Sour: Shake 2 oz of whiskey, 3/4 oz of lemon juice, and 1/2 oz of simple syrup with ice. Strain into a glass filled with ice and garnish with a cherry and an orange slice.
Food pairing with The Irishman Founder’s Reserve Whiskey can bring out the best in both the whiskey and your meal. Here are a few suggestions:
- Crème Caramel: The creamy sweetness of crème caramel pairs well with the caramel and butterscotch notes in the whiskey.
- Dark Chocolate: The bitter and earthy flavors of dark chocolate can complement the bourbon oak and deeper flavors of the whiskey.
- Aged Cheese: Rich, aged cheeses can highlight the whiskey’s complexity and draw attention to its aging process.
As my experience with The Irishman Founder’s Reserve whiskey comes to an end, one distinct aspect that stands out to me is its balance. This whiskey truly showcases the art of Irish distillation. It’s quite easy to drink, boasting a friendly ABV; not too watered down, and not overly alcoholic. I found the tasting notes quite enjoyable, with hints of cocoa, berries, and a lightly sweet undertone.
Although it does not carry an age statement, this whiskey exudes unique charm and complexity. Matured in ex-bourbon barrels, it retains the delightful notes and a smooth finish. It’s worth mentioning that the Founder’s Reserve has similarities to the offerings of famous distilleries like Bushmills and Midleton.
So, the next time you’re on the lookout for a friendly, easy-to-drink Irish whiskey, give The Irishman Founder’s Reserve a try. I believe you’ll enjoy the experience and appreciate the dedication to quality that’s evident in every sip. Cheers!